Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Weekend

Hey hey,

On Friday 9 Feb. Debbie and Gail took Nienke, Kirsten and me to Boulders Beach in Simon's town. It was raining, which prevented us from going to Cape Point. Boulders Beach is the area where you can see the African 'Jackass' penguins. These birds are endangered and flightless. Although it was raining, the penguins weren't hiding so we could see them and take photos. They were very sweet and comfortable with humans. After taking photos and getting wet we went to a couple of souvenir shops (yes, we definitely act like tourists ha ha). Then we had lunch in a small restaurant and it started pouring even worse, I had the feeling I was in Holland!
After lunch we drove to Chapman's peak, which was quite scary for me because I'm afraid of heights and we were driving very close to the edge! However I was blown away by the magnificent view from the mountain, it was beautiful.

That evening we were invited to Kristina's birthday dinner at Waterfront. We had pizza's at Primi Piatti which was nice! We had a lovely dinner, with 15 other girls, which included a lot of laughing and loud chatting as we girls are like that sometimes..*cough*.

On Saturday Kirsten, Nienke, Megan, Amy, Caroline and I went to the cheetah farm, Spier. It was absolutely amazing! Not only was it fantastic to see these beautiful endangered wild cats, we were also aloud to stroke an adult cheetah. We weren't allowed to touch Joseph's(as our cheetah was called) tail, head or legs. We were only allowed to stroke his back. We were warned that if he would roll over or stand up that we had to stand up and walk away. That's why we had to kneel close behind him so that we could easily stand up. We were able to get a couple of good photos with us stroking the cheetah. We also saw the cubs, they were very cute, but of course, one day they will become just as strong and dangerous as the adults. It was such a nice experience and I will never forget it!

That night we had two parties, one of Vicky's which we went to first. She is in our grade at Herschel. When we arrived I couldn't believe how big her house was. I wouldn't even call it a house, as it was almost a palace. There were quite a lot of people, but it wasn't packed. Most people were outside and there was a DJ(Shane, Cleo's friend btw) inside. So the people who wanted to dance were inside and the others were outside on the patio or in the garden. I had a lot of fun and thankfully we knew a lot of people there from our grade.
We left at around 22.30, which wasn't the best moment as it was pouring outside. We had to run to the car (which was quite a long run because her drive-in is very long) and by the time we got into the car everyone was wet. We went to Chrome, a club, which was hired for the Cupid Evening After party. We had an absolute blast, although it was quite packed. I really enjoyed the evening, and surprisingly we knew a lot of people there too! That night I slept over at Kath's house because Lily was away for the weekend.


On Sunday we slept in late, which was awesome as we don't get to do that a lot here. We had a very relaxed day just doing homework and chilling. I had a wonderful week, very busy but it was worth it...


Yesterday, Wednesday, I got my first Afrikaans grade back. I'm in the first language class and they had to do a listening comprehension. I decided to try it as well, and what do you know, I was 2Nd best in class! I was so surprised, but very happy. Mevr. Nel, our teacher, gave Pascale(she had 100%) and me(85%) a rose for our results which was so sweet!

Tomorrow we have only two(2!) weeks left here, and we still have so much to see and do!!

Love,

San

P.S. I can't put photos on at the moment as my internet at home isn't working, I'll put them on ASAP!

No comments: